Jans Carlson - November 2013

I hunted a river bottom adjacent to cornfields and was able to arrow two nice white tail does. I was using my UFOC arrow setup which was built from a 300 Behman ICS Hunter shaft, standard aluminum insert, double aluminum footing, 125gr steel adaptor, and a 300gr Tuffhead broadhead. The fletching is 3-2 3/4" AA feathers plus a turbulator. Total arrow weight around 700gr with FOC around 30-32%. I was shooting a 62" 65#@29" Bob Lee take down recurve.


The first doe was at about 10 yards. My shot entered just behind the front right shoulder, went through both lungs, and came out through the middle of the opposite shoulder as she was slightly quartered away. The arrow continued on into the ground an additional 6".

This doe ran off in a half circle and came back to rest about 40 yards from the stand. She was dead within 30 seconds.


The second doe was a quartering away shot at about 25 yards. Again the arrow completely passed through. The arrow entered behind the right shoulder and I think it came out of her brisket as she quartered even more as I released. I found the arrow buried several inches into the ground. She ran about sixty yards out into a meadow. I could see heavy blood coming from her mouth/nose. She was later tracked out into that meadow where she hid in some grass. Large amounts of sprayed blood all along her trail. I walked right passed her where she was hidden as I was focused on the trail/carnage, and turned around to see her on the ground apparently finished. As I looked at her she sprang up and ran off into the woods where I watched her lay down about 50 yards away. I have never seen an animal bleed that much and get up again.


I backed out and left her for an hour and a half. Upon returning, I found massive blood in the snow which continued from a bed and down a path. Lung tissue was apparent with the blood. The blood trail stopped after about 30 yards and I was left with only a maze of fresh deer tracks going in all directions and no more blood. Three of us searched in circles for several hundred yards from the site of the last blood but were unable to come up with a blood trail. Alas we did not find my second doe after an hour and a half of searching. I know it happens, but it still leaves me feeling very guilty and sick to my stomach. I strive to make good shots and recover my animals!

Upon replaying my shots I noticed that both arrows were very hard to see where they stuck in the ground from where I shot. Both were sticking straight into the ground with no deflection in the arrow path. When I noticed them I realized my view of them in the ground was the same as when I shot with just the nock and the back edge of the fletching visible.

I will include pictures of the autopsy as I butcher and clean some bones to show the damage.

I have never had arrows which flew so well and hit with such force as these UFOC arrows and Tuffheads. The blood loss was greater than any broadhead I have ever used, and I have never had pass throughs with arrows buried so deep with no deflection in the trajectory. Both shots made a very loud crack as the broadhead was going through bone. Both broadheads showed no sign of edge damage after being removed from several inches of sandy river bottom soil. I will only have to strop these edges again before hunting with them. My hat is off to the Tuffhead 300's and FOC arrows!


I extend a huge thank you to Doc Ashby for all of his research which he has shared with us so freely, Troy Breeding for his posts on bare shaft tuning along with countless phone conversations as I struggled through the learning curve, and all of the great men and women hunting with traditional equipment who share those stories and experiences here.

Good hunting to all,




   Made in the USA